NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. – Three Monroe College track and field stars qualified for the NJCAA Division I National Indoor Track Meet in March.
Melika Lewis, Damian Walker and Joel Johnson each competed at the Brown University Alden Invitational, an indoor meet that featured several NCAA schools, and performed well enough to qualify for the national meet at Texas Tech in March.
"After a long fall season of training, the athletes were eager to finally compete," said coach Mark Goodman. "I'm very proud of how they did. We have a small group of sophomores who have acted as great role models to the large group of freshmen, who performed extremely well for their first collegiate meet."
Lewis finished in first place in the 60-meter event with a time of 7.82 seconds. Johnson placed first in the 500-meter event at 1:06.63. Walker took second place at the 800-meter event with a time of 1:59.23.
Lewis and Johnson qualified for nationals in their first indoor meets.
From a report by Monroe College Athletics
- 1 New Rochelle Childhood School Put On Lockdown After Gun Threat
- 2 New Rochelle's First Snowfall Of Season Could Arrive Over Weekend
- 3 Westchester Parishes Waiting On Word Of Closures
- 4 Superstorm Sandy Was Not The 'Big One,' So New Rochelle Must Prepare
- 5 Hutchinson Parkway Reopens After Truck Slams Into Bridge, Catches Fire