MAHOPAC, N.Y. -- If the 2014 season ends as dramatically as it started, Section 1 boys soccer fans are in for a treat.
Brett Mattos scored the game-winner off an assist from Mike Clancy with 9:44 left in regulation to give host Mahopac a 2-1 win over Horace Greeley on Friday.
Mike Bernardi preserved the win for the 'Pac by coming up with a huge save with just under a minute remaining. He finished with 11 saves.
Mahopac led 1-0 at the half before Greeley tied it shortly before Mattos' tiebreaker.
Horace Greeley is coming off an appearance in the 2013 Class AA finals. The 14th-seeded Quakers beat previously unbeaten Mamaroneck to get to the title game, where they fell to Arlington in overtime.
Follow Joe Lombardi on Twitter @Joe_Lombardi.
- 1 State Police Warn New Rochelle Residents Of Phone Scam
- 2 ESPN Writer's Son, 21, Missing At College In Upstate New York
- 3 NYPD Detective Killed, Driver Injured In Wrong-Way Sprain Brook Crash
- 4 New Rochelle City Council Approves Parks Overhaul
- 5 Former NBA, Knicks Star Anthony Mason Of New Rochelle Dies At 48