NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. – Nick Barbaria of New Rochelle decisioned Wantagh’s Kyle Quinn, 3-0, to win the 106-pound title Saturday at the 10th annual Eastern States Wrestling Classic at Sullivan Community College.
Barbaria, the 2012 Eastern States 99-pound runner-up, became the first New Rochelle wrestler to win the tournament.
“I thought Nicky wrestled some of his best matches of the season the last two days,” New Rochelle coach Eddie Ortiz said. “Nicky responded well to the high caliber of competition. He did a great job of staying composed and finishing periods.”
Barbaria, seeded third, had three shutouts and outscored his five opponents, 39-7. He advanced to the final with a 4-3 overtime victory over Corning's Jimmy Overhiser, the second seed.
This is the third consecutive tournament title for Barbaria. He won the Ted Murphy Shoreline championship and preceded it with the Bethpage crown.
- 1 New Rochelle Lockout Lifted As Police Investigate Shots Fired In Area
- 2 State Approves Controversial New Rochelle Group Home
- 3 Female Suspect From Pelham Identified In NJ Bank Theft
- 4 New Rochelle High School Has Two Lockdowns After Reports Of Shots
- 5 NYC Doctor Is First Person In Area To Test Positive For Ebola