NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. – Nick Barbaria of New Rochelle decisioned Wantagh’s Kyle Quinn, 3-0, to win the 106-pound title Saturday at the 10th annual Eastern States Wrestling Classic at Sullivan Community College.
Barbaria, the 2012 Eastern States 99-pound runner-up, became the first New Rochelle wrestler to win the tournament.
“I thought Nicky wrestled some of his best matches of the season the last two days,” New Rochelle coach Eddie Ortiz said. “Nicky responded well to the high caliber of competition. He did a great job of staying composed and finishing periods.”
Barbaria, seeded third, had three shutouts and outscored his five opponents, 39-7. He advanced to the final with a 4-3 overtime victory over Corning's Jimmy Overhiser, the second seed.
This is the third consecutive tournament title for Barbaria. He won the Ted Murphy Shoreline championship and preceded it with the Bethpage crown.
- 1 Former Monroe College Standout Signs With New York Knicks
- 2 Man Shot Twice In New Rochelle Is In Serious Condition
- 3 Robbers On The Run After Heist At Pelham Manor Store
- 4 Westchester Attorney Charged With Stealing Over $1M From Escrow Accounts
- 5 Missing Woman With Dementia Could Be In Westchester