NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. – New Rochelle’s Nick Barbaria reached a milestone on his way to winning the 106-pound title and the Most Outstanding Wrestler award Friday at the Glen Cove Wrestling Tournament.
The junior, who is the 2012 Section 1 Division I 99-pound champ, registered his 100th varsity win, by pin, in a first-round match.
“Getting 100 wins is an accomplishment and great milestone, but you don’t get there if you don’t treat every match like it’s the most important match,” Barbaria said. “It was nice to win my weight class and share it with my teammates, who also won their weight classes.
“As far as winning MOW, it’s always humbling to know that other teams and coaches from other sections feel that I am worthy of it.”
New Rochelle had three more champions in Justin Douglas (285 pounds), Lamont Wallace (120 pounds) and Demetrious Rodriguez (160).
- 1 Sex Offenders Live Near New Rochelle Pre-K's, Report Says
- 2 New Rochelle Man Faces Attempted Murder Charges
- 3 New Rochelle Could See Up To 6 Inches Of Snow In Latest Storm
- 4 Winter Weather Advisory For New Round Of Snow In New Rochelle
- 5 Port Chester Landscaper Pulls Down Record $571K Empire City Casino Jackpot