NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. – New Rochelle’s Nick Barbaria reached a milestone on his way to winning the 106-pound title and the Most Outstanding Wrestler award Friday at the Glen Cove Wrestling Tournament.
The junior, who is the 2012 Section 1 Division I 99-pound champ, registered his 100th varsity win, by pin, in a first-round match.
“Getting 100 wins is an accomplishment and great milestone, but you don’t get there if you don’t treat every match like it’s the most important match,” Barbaria said. “It was nice to win my weight class and share it with my teammates, who also won their weight classes.
“As far as winning MOW, it’s always humbling to know that other teams and coaches from other sections feel that I am worthy of it.”
New Rochelle had three more champions in Justin Douglas (285 pounds), Lamont Wallace (120 pounds) and Demetrious Rodriguez (160).
- 1 Drowning Victim, 22, ID'd; Stepson Of Schools Superintendent
- 2 New Scam Showing Up On Facebook Could Cost You Lots Of Money
- 3 Yonkers Man, 22, Drowns In Surf Off New Jersey Shore
- 4 Gang Members Charged With Murder, Other Felonies In White Plains Court
- 5 Just In Time For 'Shark Week,' New Sighting Is Reported Off Long Island