NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. – New Rochelle’s Nick Barbaria reached a milestone on his way to winning the 106-pound title and the Most Outstanding Wrestler award Friday at the Glen Cove Wrestling Tournament.
The junior, who is the 2012 Section 1 Division I 99-pound champ, registered his 100th varsity win, by pin, in a first-round match.
“Getting 100 wins is an accomplishment and great milestone, but you don’t get there if you don’t treat every match like it’s the most important match,” Barbaria said. “It was nice to win my weight class and share it with my teammates, who also won their weight classes.
“As far as winning MOW, it’s always humbling to know that other teams and coaches from other sections feel that I am worthy of it.”
New Rochelle had three more champions in Justin Douglas (285 pounds), Lamont Wallace (120 pounds) and Demetrious Rodriguez (160).
- 1 Westchester School Closing, Early Dismissal Rundown
- 2 New Rochelle Could See 4-8 Inches Of Snow Wednesday
- 3 Snow Likely In New Rochelle On Busiest Travel Day Of The Year
- 4 Suspect In Theft Of Fur Coats From Greenwich Saks Nabbed In New Rochelle
- 5 Westchester's Highest Snowfall Totals Are Expected North Of I-287