MAHOPAC, N.Y. – New Rochelle scored twice in the first half and the defense stonewalled North Rockland for four quarters Sunday as the hometown Huguenots won the Section 1 Class AA football championship with a 28-0 victory at Mahopac High School.
The shutout victory brought the Huguenots (8-1) their ninth Section 1 title in 14 years and the a spot in Saturday's 7 p.m. state regional quarterfinal against either Pine Bush or Monroe-Woodbury at Dietz Stadium in Kingston.
New Rochelle quarterback Khalil Edney ran for a score and tossed touchdown passes to receiver Ahmad Encarnacion and Joe Clarke to lead the offense and lineman Ray Ganley and Cory Holder led the defense that earned its sixth shout of the season.
Ganley was named the game's Most Valuable Defensive Player and Edney the MVP on offense.
Wjhante Holden had a big interception in the first half when the Huguenots forced three turnovers.
New Rochelle has won nine Section 1 titles since 2000 and North Rockland has won five in the last 14 years of the rivalry.
- 1 Cousin Charged In Death Of 5-Year-Old Subject Of Amber Alert
- 2 'Black Lives Matter' Group Organizes March On New Rochelle City Hall
- 3 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In New Rochelle
- 4 Sen. Latimer's Rye Home Goes Into Foreclosure
- 5 New Rochelle Man, 27, Charged With Assaulting State Trooper