NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. – The Monroe College men’s basketball team will enter 2013 with two former Mustang greats on the bench.
Garfield “Ricky” Johns, who played for Monroe from 2003-2005, joins Dana Warner, who played for the school from 1998 to 2000, as an assistant coach to Jeff Brustad. Warner has been an assistant since 2008, while Johns joined the team this season.
Johns finished his Monroe career as the second all-time scorer in school history with 1,202 points. He also hit a buzzer-beater in 2005 that won the Regional title for Monroe and finished First-Team All-Region for the Mustangs in his two seasons.
Warner also led his team to a Regional championship in 2000.
Johns went on to play ball at the University of Utah, while Warner played at CCNY.
"There's nice balance on the coaching staff," Brustad said. "Obviously Dana can work closely with the front court players and Ricky can focus on the guards. But what they have in common is that they were both outstanding players in our program and know what it takes to play the game the Monroe way, the winning way."
Monroe is 9-5 this season and begins the second half of its schedule on Friday, Jan. 4.
From a report by Monroe College Athletics.
- 1 Snow Likely In New Rochelle On Busiest Travel Day Of The Year
- 2 New Rochelle Could See 4-8 Inches Of Snow Wednesday
- 3 Westchester School Closing, Early Dismissal Rundown
- 4 Suspect In Theft Of Fur Coats From Greenwich Saks Nabbed In New Rochelle
- 5 Westchester's Highest Snowfall Totals Are Expected North Of I-287