NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. – Monroe College will honor the New Rochelle Jr. Huguenots basketball team this weekend at the Mustangs' Winter Tip-Off Invitational.
The Mustangs will offer free admission, chances for halftime prizes and autograph sessions to Jr. Huguenots players, who represent New Rochelle in the Tri-County Basketball League.
Monroe will honor the young players during three games this weekend. The men’s baskektball team faces Central Florida Friday at 8 p.m. and Hagerstown Saturday at 4 p.m. The women’s team takes on rival Harcum at 6 p.m. Saturday.
"This is our way of honoring New Rochelle's young people who are staying in school and doing their best on the basketball court," said Gary Axelbank, Monroe's director of sports development and information. "Supporting the local community has been a part of the Monroe College legacy for almost 80 years, and now that we have this gorgeous facility in downtown New Rochelle, this is another way that we can keep those commitments strong."
The Jr. Huguenots include players in sixth through eighth grades. The team is entering its second year of practices and games at the Monroe Athletic Complex.
From a report by Monroe College Athletics
- 1 Westchester School Closing, Early Dismissal Rundown
- 2 New Rochelle Could See 4-8 Inches Of Snow Wednesday
- 3 Snow Likely In New Rochelle On Busiest Travel Day Of The Year
- 4 Suspect In Theft Of Fur Coats From Greenwich Saks Nabbed In New Rochelle
- 5 Westchester's Highest Snowfall Totals Are Expected North Of I-287