NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. -- The Iona College men's basketball team drew Conference USA's Louisiana Tech in the first round of the National Invitation Tournament on Wednesday, March 19.
The Gaels were the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference's regular-season champion and held the No. 1 seed in the championship tournament last weekend. Iona fell to Manhattan in the final.
The team is led by All-MAAC first-teamers Sean Armand and A.J. English and second-teamer David Laury along with seniors Tre Bowman and Mike Poole and sophomore Isaiah Williams. Iona's 83.5 points per game ranks No. 4 in the nation while its 10.31 three-pointer per game is second to Creighton’s 10.36.
The Gaels made their fifth appearance in the NIT and first since 1997.
The Gaels will travel to Ruston, La., for a matchup with the Bulldogs at 7:30 p.m. at the Thomas Assembly Center on ESPN3. The No. 6 seeded Iona takes on No. 3 seed Louisiana Tech.
Gary Stanley and Kevin Hamilton will make the call for the Gaels on IonaInsider.com, MAAC.tv and on the MAAC Sports and Iona Gaels apps for Apple and Android devices. The game can be seen live on ESPN3 or WatchESPN.com.
- 1 New Rochelle Millennial Runs For Library Trustee Seat
- 2 Broadway Producer's Westchester Home Hits The Market For $29.5M
- 3 Police Seeking Public's Help In Search For Missing Greenwich Teenager
- 4 Shakespeare Meets Taylor Swift In New Rochelle 'Pop-Up' Performance
- 5 Man, 34, Charged With Driving Wrong Way On Hutch, DWI