NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. – Khalil Edney was a young man on a mission during the 2012 New Rochelle varsity football season.
The senior quarterback wanted to bring a New York State Class AA championship back to New Rochelle, and he and his team did.
Thanks to his monster performance in the state final, Edney has been named The New Rochelle Daily Voice's Student-Athlete of the Month.
“It was my last year of high school football and I wanted to end it on a good note,” Edney said of his mindset entering the season.
The New Rochelle Huguenots made it through the regular season with just one loss, to North Bergen, N.J. The team won two state-playoff games and then dismantled defending champ Orchard Park, 34-6, for the title.
Edney led the Huguenots to a commanding 28-0 lead. He finished the game with 91 yards rushing, two rushing touchdowns and a passing touchdown. Edney was selected the most valuable player.
As Edney prepared for the state final, he was thinking of his late mother because it was the anniversary of her passing.
“I had a moment with her before I stepped on the field,” Edney said. “Knowing that she was watching me made me feel more comfortable.”
Edney said the football season will be memorable beyond the state title.
“I played the game of football with a great group of guys that I played with all of my life,” he said.
- 1 Police Identify Teenagers Involved In Fatal Accident Near Port Chester HS
- 2 One Killed, One Injured In Car Crash Near Port Chester High School
- 3 New Rochelle Hosts Thanksgiving Parade, Pancake Breakfast
- 4 Driver, Witnesses Assist Police After Pedestrian Struck, Killed On Saw Mill
- 5 Bill Cosby's Tarrytown Shows Are Still On Despite Sex Abuse Allegations