NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. – New Rochelle resident Judy Hines is one of many residents distraught over the announced closing of Blessed Sacrament St. Gabriel High School in June.
“This is the end of parochial high school for middle class New Rochelle parents,” she said in a post on the New Rochelle Daily Voice Facebook page.
Hines, a graduate of Blessed Sacrament who also sent her sons there, said she liked the school for its affordability.
“Iona and Ursuline are excellent schools, but the cost is out of reach for many families. Salesian, of course, is all boys. This is very sad news,” she said.
Blessed Sacrament was one of two secondary schools the Archdiocese of New York announced Tuesday it will be closing.
Twenty two elementary schools were also tagged for closing, including Our Lady of Fatima in Scarsdale and St. Casimir in Yonkers.
Lesley Ann Longo said there aren’t many Catholic schools left in the Queen City of theSsound.
“The only one left is Holy Name even though I don't think they're a high school,” she said in a post on the New Rochelle Daily Voice Facebook page.
- 1 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By Homeland Security, FBI
- 2 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 3 Police Shoot, Kill Fugitive Richard Matt; Fellow Escapee David Sweat On Run
- 4 Police Investigating Fatal Shootings Off Hutchinson River Parkway
- 5 New Rochelle Police Investigating Overnight Gunshots