NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. – A nursing student at the College of New Rochelle was given the Ursuline Education Award for Service for her volunteer efforts in the community.
Shiyon Lee Matthew of New Rochelle was honored through the Student Service Recognition Program, sponsored by the Ursuline Educational Services. Dean of the School of Nursing Dr. Mary Alice Donius said that, whenever there is need, “Shiyon is there.”
Matthew is vice president of the Student Nurses’ Association that collects coats for the Oasis Shelter in New Rochelle, participates with Student Development’s Neighborhood Earth-Day Clean Up and served as president of WILDE – Women in Lasting Defense of the Environment. In addition, Matthew coordinated a denim drive to benefit Cotton Inc., a company that converts denim fibers to make environmentally sound insulation for homes.
In Campus Ministry, Matthew regularly assists in meal preparations for the Midnight Runs program, serves as lector at Catholic liturgies and volunteered as a Sacristan for the morning masses in Holy Family Chapel at the college.
- 1 Hutch Reopens After Overturned Vehicle Accident; Stop-And-Go Delays On I-95
- 2 Snow Could Return To New Rochelle For Monday Morning Commute
- 3 New Rochelle Man Appointed To Head Veterans Services
- 4 Daughters Defend Mother Who Drove SUV In Fatal Train Crash In TV Interview
- 5 Slick Westchester Roadways Result In Numerous Accidents