NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. – A nursing student at the College of New Rochelle was given the Ursuline Education Award for Service for her volunteer efforts in the community.
Shiyon Lee Matthew of New Rochelle was honored through the Student Service Recognition Program, sponsored by the Ursuline Educational Services. Dean of the School of Nursing Dr. Mary Alice Donius said that, whenever there is need, “Shiyon is there.”
Matthew is vice president of the Student Nurses’ Association that collects coats for the Oasis Shelter in New Rochelle, participates with Student Development’s Neighborhood Earth-Day Clean Up and served as president of WILDE – Women in Lasting Defense of the Environment. In addition, Matthew coordinated a denim drive to benefit Cotton Inc., a company that converts denim fibers to make environmentally sound insulation for homes.
In Campus Ministry, Matthew regularly assists in meal preparations for the Midnight Runs program, serves as lector at Catholic liturgies and volunteered as a Sacristan for the morning masses in Holy Family Chapel at the college.
- 1 18-24 Inches Of Snow Now Possible In New Rochelle; Blizzard Warning Issued
- 2 New Rochelle Dodges Worst Of Nor'ester
- 3 Storm System Departs New Rochelle, Snow Could Return Thursday
- 4 FEMA Gives $4 Million To Repair New Rochelle's Glen Island Park
- 5 New Rochelle Man, 24, Charged In Weekend Hit-And-Run