NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. – After several months of discussions, Iona College has agreed to buy property that includes a pair of popular New Rochelle destinations: Beechmont Tavern and Gemelli Pizzeria.
The property is located at 748 and 754 North Avenue and includes two vacant retail spaces in addition to the tavern and pizzeria.
“The Beechmont Tavern is a landmark business that is fondly remembered by many of our alumni, and as such, we look forward to a long-term relationship with its owners,” said Anne Marie Schettini-Lynch, Iona's senior vice president for finance and administration.
“Although Gemelli Pizzeria is a newer establishment, it has been well received by the Iona community and we look forward to continuing that relationship as well.”
Iona College Director of Media Relations Dawn Insanalli said the agreement includes taking over all existing leases, which run from eight to 11 years.
Earlier this year, the property owner approached school officials about continuing efforts to revitalize the financial district on North Avenue.
In a statement, Schettini-Lynch said the college plans to maintain the location's ambiance and history, noting many alumni frequented the tavern during their time at Iona.
- 1 Domestic Violence Charges Against New Rochelle's Ray Rice Dismissed
- 2 Astorino Asks Obama If He 'Wants To Say Hi' To Hillary Clinton During Visit
- 3 New York's Largest-Ever Heroin Seizure Nets Yonkers Suspect
- 4 Yonkers Police Locate Woman In Possible Abduction
- 5 Bank Teller Pleads Guilty To Stealing $1.4M From Westchester Depositors