WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- Three New Rochelle firefighters are recovering from injuries sustained while battling an intense fire on Thornbury Road near the Scarsdale town line during the height of the Nor'easter on Tuesday.
The firefighters -- one who received second-degree burns, another who received shoulder injuries after the ceiling collapsed on top of him and another who received a neck injury -- have been released from the hospital and are recovering, said New Rochelle Fire Chief Louis Dimeglio.
The fire at 159 Thornbury Road was a "wall of flames" when firefighters arrived on scene around 1 p.m., Dimeglio said.
The blaze started in the garage, moved to the room above it and then shot out of the roof. The home is a total loss, the chief added.
The cause was likely from a snow blower that was refilled while hot and then stored in the garage, and jumped to a car inside as well as a full propane tank, he said.
"Although we can't officially say the snow blower is the source of the fire at this time, it is the most likely cause," he added.
The homeowner had just finished using and refueling it before the fire started, he added.
The chief said weather conditions made it especially hard with firefighters having to trudge and drag lines through the snow, into addition to the winds.
"When you add the blizzard conditions with the fuels inside the garage, the scene was very intense," Dimeglio said.
Thankfully, he added, the firefighters weren't more seriously injured.
Early Wednesday, the chief said his firefighters were back it in Yonkers helping with a large apartment fire.
"They helped us yesterday and we are helping them this morning," he said. "We couldn't survive without the mutual aid between all of the departments."
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.