NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. - A Westchester Grand Jury has decided not to indict any of the officers involved in the fatal shooting of a man in New Rochelle earlier this year.
Samuel Cruz was struck by a bullet once in the chest in May after police were called to his Hickory Street apartment. He was taken to the Sound Shore Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead, police said.
Westchester County District Attorney janet DiFiore said after an "exhaustive review of the evidence," the 23-member Grand Jury concluded there "was no reasonable cause to vote an indictment," DiFiore said.
"In so doing, the grand jury found the police did not act unjustifiably as defined by New York criminal law in causing the tragic death of Samuel Cruz during his encounter with New Rochelle police officers on May 26, 2013," she said.
The Grand Jury heard testimony from 24 witnesses, listened to the 911 calls and reviewed more than 49 exhibits entered into evidence.
In May, police were called to Cruz's Hickory Street apartment around 1:30 p.m. when a relative checking on Cruz's welfare reported that Cruz was off his medication, acting irrationally and refusing to open his door.
After a “lengthy dialogue” with officers through Cruz's locked door, police said they determined that Cruz was a danger to himself and others. When officers forced open the door, Cruz was armed with a hooked-bladed knife and threatened them, police said.