NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. -- Richard "Ricky" Leak, 32, of New Rochelle was sentenced on Tuesday to 20 years in prison for the death of his son, the Westchester County District Attorney's Office announced in a news release.
Leak was convicted in March of first-degree manslaughter after the death of his two-year-old son Khalil Leak on Jan. 9, 2011.
According to the release, at approximately 1 a.m. on Jan. 9, Leak called his live-in girlfriend who was not at home and reported that the victim was not breathing. The girlfriend then called a downstairs neighbor and asked her to check on the victim.
The release said the neighbor went upstairs and after finding the victim unresponsive in the defendant’s apartment, called 911 for an ambulance. The two-year old child was pronounced dead about one hour later at Sound Shore Medical Center
Leak was arrested on Jan. 12
“Extensive detective and forensic pathology work by both the New Rochelle Police Department and the Westchester County medical examiner were instrumental in the conviction and ultimate sentence that this defendant received. The severity of the injuries, along with multiple and conflicting stories as to how the child sustained those fatal injuries, belied the defendant’s protestations that his own son’s death was just “an accident”,” said District Attorney Janet DiFiore.
- 1 18-24 Inches Of Snow Now Possible In New Rochelle; Blizzard Warning Issued
- 2 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward New Rochelle, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 3 Man, 37, In Critical Condition After Hit-And-Run In New Rochelle
- 4 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For New Rochelle
- 5 Bigger Storm Could Be Coming Soon After Westchester Sees 6-8 Inches Of Snow