NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. – Two men were charged with driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs after police stopped them at a checkpoint in New Rochelle after midnight Friday.
Lawrence Bennett, 63, of Ronbru Drive, New Rochelle, was charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance, a felony; and driving while appearing intoxicated under the combined influence of drugs or alcohol, with no prior offenses, a misdemeanor, after stopping at a checkpoint at North Avenue and the northbound Hutchinson River Parkway, New Rochelle police Sgt. Myron Joseph said.
Avigdor Kramer, 23, of 29 Fanshaw Place, Yonkers, was charged with operating a motor vehicle while impaired by drugs, his first offense, a misdemeanor, at the same checkpoint.
The holiday checkpoint, which netted eight arrests overall, was operated by Westchester County, New Rochelle, Eastchester, Mount Vernon and Scarsdale police officers, Joseph said.
- 1 Sex Offenders Live Near New Rochelle Pre-K's, Report Says
- 2 New Rochelle Man Faces Attempted Murder Charges
- 3 March Comes In Like A Lion As Latest Snowstorm Hits New Rochelle
- 4 Winter Weather Advisory For New Round Of Snow In New Rochelle
- 5 New Rochelle Could See Up To 6 Inches Of Snow In Latest Storm