NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. – Two men were charged with driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs after police stopped them at a checkpoint in New Rochelle after midnight Friday.
Lawrence Bennett, 63, of Ronbru Drive, New Rochelle, was charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance, a felony; and driving while appearing intoxicated under the combined influence of drugs or alcohol, with no prior offenses, a misdemeanor, after stopping at a checkpoint at North Avenue and the northbound Hutchinson River Parkway, New Rochelle police Sgt. Myron Joseph said.
Avigdor Kramer, 23, of 29 Fanshaw Place, Yonkers, was charged with operating a motor vehicle while impaired by drugs, his first offense, a misdemeanor, at the same checkpoint.
The holiday checkpoint, which netted eight arrests overall, was operated by Westchester County, New Rochelle, Eastchester, Mount Vernon and Scarsdale police officers, Joseph said.
- 1 18-24 Inches Of Snow Now Possible In New Rochelle; Blizzard Warning Issued
- 2 Man, 37, In Critical Condition After Hit-And-Run In New Rochelle
- 3 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward New Rochelle, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 4 Bigger Storm Could Be Coming Soon After Westchester Sees 6-8 Inches Of Snow
- 5 New Rochelle Dodges Worst Of Nor'ester