NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. -- New Rochelle native Thomas Durkin, 81, died on Dec. 29, 2013 in Millsboro, Del.
Durkin was born on May 5, 1932 and attended Blessed Sacrament High School in New Rochelle and was a standout athlete in baseball, basketball and football.
Durkin served two years in the U.S. Coast Guard before working as an electrician throughout New York, including in the New Rochelle school system.
Durkin married Margaret Hennessy in 1954 and raised their family in New Rochelle, White Plains, Rye and Armonk. Tom and Margaret retired to Delaware, where she passed away from cancer in 2008.
During his trips to Florida, Durkin met and later married Pat Leahy in 2011.
He is survived by his wife, Patricia (Pat) Durkin and children, Colleen, Thomas, Mary Beth, James, Martin and Julie Durkin; his sisters, Marie Durkin Cohan and Catherine Durkin Birns; and six grandchildren.
Memorial services will be heldat the Mary Mother of Peace Catholic Church in Millsboro, Delaware on Saturday, Jan. 25.
- 1 Hutch Reopens After Overturned Vehicle Accident; Stop-And-Go Delays On I-95
- 2 New Rochelle Man Appointed To Head Veterans Services
- 3 Snow Could Return To New Rochelle For Monday Morning Commute
- 4 Daughters Defend Mother Who Drove SUV In Fatal Train Crash On 'Today' Show
- 5 Slick Westchester Roadways Result In Numerous Accidents