NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. - Rose S. Leon, a lifelong resident of New Rochelle, died May 5. She was 92.
Leon was born Aug. 28, 1921, in New Rochelle, to Vincent and Antoinette (Soriero) Scoca. She graduated from The College of New Rochelle in 1943, and many years later she received her MS in Social Work from Smith College and her MBA from Pace University. She worked for 42 years as a social worker for Westchester County. After retirement she worked as a hospice volunteer at the Jansen Memorial Hospice and the United Hospital Hospice.
She was a member of the First Presbyterian Church of New Rochelle where she was ordained a deacon in 1955, and later became a church elder. After 50 years as a church officer she became a ruling elder. She was a member of the Inter-Religious Council. She was active in The College of New Rochelle.
Leon is survived by her son, David Leon; daughter, Antonette L. Mora (Adriano); sisters, Nettie Pizza and Michelina (Micky) Wright; brother, Eddie Scoca; and numerous nieces and nephews. She was predeceased by her parents; and husband, Martin D. Leon.
Calling hours are Sunday, May 11 from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. at Lloyd Maxcy & Sons Beauchamp Chapel, Inc., 16 Shea Place, New Rochelle, where a funeral service is scheduled for Monday, May 12 at 10 a.m. Interment will follow at Beechwoods Cemetery.
- 1 Autopsy Released For Woman Found Naked In Neighbor's Yard In Yonkers
- 2 Two Medical Marijuana Licenses Granted In Westchester
- 3 Accident Involving Car, Tractor Trailer Creates Morning Gridlock On I-95
- 4 New Rochelle Native Jerome Kohlberg, Billionaire, Philanthropist, Dies
- 5 New Rochelle Residents Get To See Blue Moon Friday Night