NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. -- Acclaimed actress Ruby Dee died in her New Rochelle Home on Wednesday, June 11, according to the New York Daily News. She was 91.
Dee was born in Cleveland, but raised in New York. She won an Emmy, a Grammy and a Screen Actors Guild Award throughout her career. Dee was a star of television, cinema and stage who starred with legends like Nat King Cole and Sidney Poitier, the Daily News said.
Dee was married to Ossie Davis, who died in 2005. The two were prominent activists, earning the National Civil Rights Museum’s Lifetime Achievement Freedom award the same year Davis died, the Daily News Reported.
- 1 Sex Offenders Live Near New Rochelle Pre-K's, Report Says
- 2 New Rochelle Man Faces Attempted Murder Charges
- 3 New Rochelle Could See Up To 6 Inches Of Snow In Latest Storm
- 4 Winter Weather Advisory For New Round Of Snow In New Rochelle
- 5 Port Chester Landscaper Pulls Down Record $571K Empire City Casino Jackpot