NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. – Mary Gaita, a lifelong New Rochelle resident, died Tuesday, Dec. 11, surrounded by her family. She was 83.
Gaita was born Aug. 6, 1929, in New Rochelle to Andrew and Rose Savino Colasuonno. She married John Gaita on Aug. 29, 1951. The joy of her life was cooking and teaching others her treasured recipes, her family said.
Survivors, in addition to by her husband, are three children, Maryann (Pat), John (Ione) and James (Suzi); a daughter-in-law, Maryann; a sister, Antoinette Feola; seven grandchildren and a great-grandson. Gaita was predeceased by a son, Peter; a sister, Ann Grossi; and three brothers, William, Dominick and Leonard Colasuonno.
Visitation is from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday at Lloyd Maxcy and Sons Beauchamp Chapel in New Rochelle. A funeral Mass will be celebrated at 10:30 a.m. Friday at Holy Family Church in New Rochelle. Burial will follow at Greenwood Union Cemetery in Rye.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the American Cancer Society.
- 1 Former NBA All-Star Anthony Mason Of New Rochelle Dies At 48
- 2 NYPD Detective Killed, Driver Injured In Wrong-Way Sprain Brook Crash
- 3 March Comes In Like A Lion As Latest Snowstorm Hits New Rochelle
- 4 New Rochelle Will See Widespread Snow Sunday Into Monday
- 5 Sex Offenders Live Near New Rochelle Pre-K's, Report Says