NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. – Mary Gaita, a lifelong New Rochelle resident, died Tuesday, Dec. 11, surrounded by her family. She was 83.
Gaita was born Aug. 6, 1929, in New Rochelle to Andrew and Rose Savino Colasuonno. She married John Gaita on Aug. 29, 1951. The joy of her life was cooking and teaching others her treasured recipes, her family said.
Survivors, in addition to by her husband, are three children, Maryann (Pat), John (Ione) and James (Suzi); a daughter-in-law, Maryann; a sister, Antoinette Feola; seven grandchildren and a great-grandson. Gaita was predeceased by a son, Peter; a sister, Ann Grossi; and three brothers, William, Dominick and Leonard Colasuonno.
Visitation is from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday at Lloyd Maxcy and Sons Beauchamp Chapel in New Rochelle. A funeral Mass will be celebrated at 10:30 a.m. Friday at Holy Family Church in New Rochelle. Burial will follow at Greenwood Union Cemetery in Rye.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the American Cancer Society.
- 1 New Rochelle Millennial Runs For Library Trustee Seat
- 2 Broadway Producer's Westchester Home Hits Market For $29.5M
- 3 Shakespeare Meets Taylor Swift In New Rochelle 'Pop-Up' Performance
- 4 Nearly 1M Bicycles Recalled After Rider Is Paralyzed
- 5 Westchester Schools Reporting High Opt-Out Rates On State Math Tests