NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. – Mary Gaita, a lifelong New Rochelle resident, died Tuesday, Dec. 11, surrounded by her family. She was 83.
Gaita was born Aug. 6, 1929, in New Rochelle to Andrew and Rose Savino Colasuonno. She married John Gaita on Aug. 29, 1951. The joy of her life was cooking and teaching others her treasured recipes, her family said.
Survivors, in addition to by her husband, are three children, Maryann (Pat), John (Ione) and James (Suzi); a daughter-in-law, Maryann; a sister, Antoinette Feola; seven grandchildren and a great-grandson. Gaita was predeceased by a son, Peter; a sister, Ann Grossi; and three brothers, William, Dominick and Leonard Colasuonno.
Visitation is from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday at Lloyd Maxcy and Sons Beauchamp Chapel in New Rochelle. A funeral Mass will be celebrated at 10:30 a.m. Friday at Holy Family Church in New Rochelle. Burial will follow at Greenwood Union Cemetery in Rye.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the American Cancer Society.
- 1 18-24 Inches Of Snow Now Possible In New Rochelle; Blizzard Warning Issued
- 2 Man, 37, In Critical Condition After Hit-And-Run In New Rochelle
- 3 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward New Rochelle, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 4 Bigger Storm Could Be Coming Soon After Westchester Sees 6-8 Inches Of Snow
- 5 New Rochelle Dodges Worst Of Nor'ester