NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. - Juanita O'Neal Ward of New Rochelle died July 8. She was 84.
Ward was born May 16, 1930, in Jacksonville, Fla., and was the daughter of Edna Andrews and Fred O'Neal. She obtained her bachelor's degree from City College of New York. Later, she obtained two Masters degrees in education from Teacher's College at Columbia University. She was an administrator in the New York City school system. She was involved in a number of community, religious and civic organizations, including the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority, the New Rochelle Branch of the NAACP, the Westchester Black Women's Political Caucus, Meals-On-Wheels, the New Rochelle Red Hatters, St. Simons Episcopal Church, and The Interreligious Council of New Rochelle.
Ward is survived by her sons, Jay, Gordon and Bruce; and seven grandchildren.
A memorial service will be held at 4 p.m. Saturday, July 26 at St. Simons Church at 135 Remington St. in New Rochelle.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority Educational Advancement Foundation at http://www.akaeaf.org under the "Support" tab.
- 1 New Rochelle Millennial Runs For Library Trustee Seat
- 2 Broadway Producer's Westchester Home Hits The Market For $29.5M
- 3 Man, 34, Is Charged With Driving Wrong Way On Hutch, DWI
- 4 Police Seeking Public's Help In Search For Missing Greenwich Teen Girl
- 5 Nearly One Million Bicycles Are Recalled After Rider Is Paralyzed