NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. – Helen C. Pohjola, a 90-year resident of New Rochelle, died July 1 in Wilmington, N.C. She was 99.
Pohjola was born Nov. 26, 1912. During World War II, she served as a USO volunteer. She also volunteered as a troop leader for the Girl Scouts of America for 12 years. Pohjola worked as an arts and crafts instructor at the New Rochelle Girl Scout Day Camp for 11 summers.
She also worked for Macy's in New Rochelle for 11 years and volunteered as a speech therapist at the Ward School in New Rochelle for five years. Pohjola was a 50-year communicant of Holy Family Church and a member of the altar guild.
Pohjola is survived by two daughters, Eugenie Pohjola Mustion of North Carolina and Lesleyann Pohjola Bordash-Doscher of Connecticut; seven grandchildren; and 13 great-grandchildren. She was predeceased by her husband, Leslie E. Pohjola; her parents, Eugenia and John Casazza; a sister, Mary P. Lane; and a brother, John L. Casazza.
A funeral Mass will be celebrated on her 100th birthday, Nov. 26, at 10:30 a.m. at Holy Family Church in New Rochelle. Burial will follow at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery in New Rochelle.
- 1 New Rochelle Could See Up To 6 Inches Of Snow In Latest Storm
- 2 Winter Weather Advisory For New Round Of Snow In New Rochelle
- 3 Port Chester Landscaper Pulls Down Record $571K Empire City Casino Jackpot
- 4 Several Accidents Reported On Slick Westchester Roadways
- 5 Below Normal Temps Predicted For March In New Rochelle