NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. The New Rochelle Fire Department responded to a fire Tuesday night at 44 Poplar Place.
Fire Chief Louis DiMeglio said the department is still investigating the cause of the fire but that based on preliminary determinations, it appears accidental and related to a faulty chimney.
The fire, which DiMeglio said began in the house's attic, damaged the roof and floor.
The fire department was able to put the fire under control in about an hour.
A small crew of firefighters remained at the scene until 2 a.m. to monitor the leftover pockets of flame, the fire chief said. The rest of the house had water damage. DiMeglio said the house will need expensive renovations.
The five or six residents who live at the home stayed with relatives or in a nearby hotel, he said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.