SCARSDALE, N.Y. – Following a fire that tore through the sauna room at the Jewish Community Center (JCC) of Mid-Westchester, leading to a complete evacuation late Wednesday afternoon, the building remained closed on Thursday, with all activities cancelled.
Karen Kolodny, the executive director of the JCC, cancelled all programs, though certain staff members were onsite in an effort to get the building operational again. No injuries were reported in the blaze, though firefighters underwent a lengthy cleanup on Wednesday night because the flames were in the ceiling.
Kolodny couldn’t be reached by The Daily Voice on Thursday, but she issued a statement, thanking the New Rochelle and Scarsdale police and fire officials that were on scene after the fire broke out at approximately 5 p.m.
“We are grateful the fire was contained to the men’s locker room and everyone is safe,” she said. “The JCC takes great pride in the safety and security measures that are in place and is closing the facility as an extra precaution so that appropriate steps can be taken to return full programming as soon as possible.”
Staff from the JCC’s popular Early Childhood Center hosted courses at Beth El Synagogue Center in New Rochelle. The JCC is expected to re-open in a limited capacity shortly.
Residents were spooked and intrigued by the fire, with many flooding down Wilmot Road to see what the cause of the commotion, sirens and flashing lights was.
“We don’t get a lot of activity in these parts. Anytime we see something like this, we’re going to poke our heads in and see what happened,” Scarsdale resident Don Gleason said. “Just glad no one got hurt.”