NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. Two separate fires raged Monday morning in New Rochelle. Reportedly, the first blaze occured at 6:03 a.m., when the rear bedroom of Jose Valencia's home at 98 Plain Avenue caught on fire from a dropped candle. Two members of the Valencia family, Dalia and Jonathan Valencia, were taken to Sound Shore Medical Center for treatment from burn and smoke inhalation injuries. The fire was cleared by 6:30 a.m.
According to reports, the second fire erupted at the corner of Windsor Oval and Hampton Oval around 8:30 a.m. this morning. The tenant had left clothes in a dryer that apparently did not shut off. New Rochelle Police Commissioner Raymond Kiernan said that the content of the dryer had ignited -- once the drum had burned through, clothes on top of the dryer caught flame and the fire spread. "There was a lot of smoke," Kiernan said, who instructed his men to put fans in the building after the fire was extinguished to reduce smoke damages. You should never leave dryers on when you go out."
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.