NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. -- Happy Birthday to New Rochelle’s Donald Spoto!
Donald Spoto, who was born in New Rochelle, turns 73 on Saturday.
Spoto, a biographer and theologian, was born June 28, 1941. He is best known for his best-selling biographies of film and theater celebrities such as Alfred Hitchcock, Laurence Olivier, Tennessee Williams, Ingrid Bergman, James Dean, Elizabeth Taylor, Grace Kelly, Marlene Dietrich, Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, and Alan Bates.
He has also written biographical accounts of the House of Windsor from the Victorian Era through to Diana, Princess of Wales and of religious figures such as Jesus, and St. Francis of Assisi, which was made into a television program by Faith & Values Media.
Barry Forshaw, in The Times of London, describes Spoto as "one of the most perspicacious biographers, a man whose insights into his subjects are always razor-sharp." Michael Coveney, in The Guardian, describes Spoto as "an American quasi-academic gossip monger who has produced zestful, authoritative books..." and Publishers Weekly calls his life of Laurence Olivier "a magnificent, moving biography worthy of its protean subject."
- 1 State Police Warn New Rochelle Residents Of Phone Scam
- 2 ESPN Writer's Son, 21, Missing At College In Upstate New York
- 3 NYPD Detective Killed, Driver Injured In Wrong-Way Sprain Brook Crash
- 4 Former NBA All-Star Anthony Mason Of New Rochelle Dies At 48
- 5 New Rochelle City Council Approves Parks Overhaul