NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. -- Happy Birthday to New Rochelle’s Donald Spoto!
Donald Spoto, who was born in New Rochelle, turns 73 on Saturday.
Spoto, a biographer and theologian, was born June 28, 1941. He is best known for his best-selling biographies of film and theater celebrities such as Alfred Hitchcock, Laurence Olivier, Tennessee Williams, Ingrid Bergman, James Dean, Elizabeth Taylor, Grace Kelly, Marlene Dietrich, Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, and Alan Bates.
He has also written biographical accounts of the House of Windsor from the Victorian Era through to Diana, Princess of Wales and of religious figures such as Jesus, and St. Francis of Assisi, which was made into a television program by Faith & Values Media.
Barry Forshaw, in The Times of London, describes Spoto as "one of the most perspicacious biographers, a man whose insights into his subjects are always razor-sharp." Michael Coveney, in The Guardian, describes Spoto as "an American quasi-academic gossip monger who has produced zestful, authoritative books..." and Publishers Weekly calls his life of Laurence Olivier "a magnificent, moving biography worthy of its protean subject."
- 1 It's A Girl: Westchester's Clintons Are Grandparents As Chelsea Gives Birth
- 2 Mysterious UFO Still Vexes Westchester Police Officer
- 3 Metro-North Reports Rise In Crime
- 4 CDC Warns Respiratory Virus May Be Linked To Mysterious Paralysis
- 5 New Rochelle Scholars Named National Achievement Semifinalists