NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. -- Happy Birthday to New Rochelle’s Alan Irwin Menken!
Alan Irwin Menken, who was born in New Rochelle, turns 65 on Tuesday.
Menken, a musical theater and film composer and pianist, was born July 22, 1949. He is best known for his scores for films produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios.
His scores for The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and Pocahontas each have won him two Academy Awards. He also composed the scores for The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Home on the Range, The Shaggy Dog, Enchanted, and most recently, Tangled and Mirror Mirror.
Menken has collaborated on several occasions with lyricists including Howard Ashman, Tim Rice, Glenn Slater and Stephen Schwartz.
With eight Academy Award wins (four each for Best Original Score and Best Original Song), Menken is the second most prolific Oscar winner in a music category after Alfred Newman, who has nine Oscars.
- 1 It's A Girl: Westchester's Clintons Are Grandparents As Chelsea Gives Birth
- 2 Mysterious UFO Still Vexes Westchester Police Officer
- 3 Metro-North Reports Rise In Crime
- 4 Ray Rice’s Claim Of Altered Tape Tops Week's News in New Rochelle
- 5 CDC Warns Respiratory Virus May Be Linked To Mysterious Paralysis