NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. -- Happy Birthday to New Rochelle’s Alan Irwin Menken!
Alan Irwin Menken, who was born in New Rochelle, turns 65 on Tuesday.
Menken, a musical theater and film composer and pianist, was born July 22, 1949. He is best known for his scores for films produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios.
His scores for The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and Pocahontas each have won him two Academy Awards. He also composed the scores for The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Home on the Range, The Shaggy Dog, Enchanted, and most recently, Tangled and Mirror Mirror.
Menken has collaborated on several occasions with lyricists including Howard Ashman, Tim Rice, Glenn Slater and Stephen Schwartz.
With eight Academy Award wins (four each for Best Original Score and Best Original Song), Menken is the second most prolific Oscar winner in a music category after Alfred Newman, who has nine Oscars.
- 1 Former Exec From PepsiCo In Purchase Resigns From Toyota After Drug Bust
- 2 Four From Westchester Indicted In Metro-North Cheating Ring
- 3 July 4 Terror Warning Security Measures In Westchester Detailed
- 4 July 4 Terror Threat Is 'Nothing Routine,' Says Former CIA Deputy Director
- 5 New Facebook Scam Could Cost You