NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. -- Real estate blog Movoto.com recently ranked New Rochelle as the 10th-best place to live in New York, tying it with Saratoga Springs.
Movoto compiled a list of municipalities within the state with 10,000 people or more from the 2010 U.S. Census. The site then ranked the 87 qualifying areas on the following criteria:
- Total amenities
- Quality of life (cost of living, median home price, median rent, median household income, and student to teacher ratio)
- Total crimes
- Tax rates (sales tax and income tax)
- Commute time
- Weather (temperature and air quality)
New Rochelle placed in the top 10 in two categories: unemployment (fourth) and amenities (10th) and weather quality (ninth). The city of more than 77,000 also placed 12th in weather quality.
New Rochelle lagged behind other communities in commute time and tax rate, ranking 59th and 55th, respectively.
The city's overall score of 28.14 tied New Rochelle with Saratoga Springs for 10th place overall. Mamaroneck, Tarrytown, White Plains, Mount Kisco, Scarsdale, Harrison, Dobbs Ferry, Rye and Ossining also placed in the top 10.
- 1 Man Shot Twice In New Rochelle Is In Serious Condition
- 2 New Rochelle's Ray Rice Will Claim Elevator Tape Was Altered
- 3 Serious Multi-Vehicle Accident Closes Saw Mill River Parkway
- 4 Mrs. Westchester Charged With Stealing From Group Home
- 5 Amber Alert Canceled After Missing Child Is Found Unharmed