NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. -- The last day to sign up for lifeguarding classes at the New Rochelle YMCA will be Thursday, June 12, with classes beginning on Friday, June 13.
Course candidates will become certified lifeguards by gaining the necessary skills needed to recognize, prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies.
Prerequisites to attend the class include the following:
- Swim 300 yards-combination of front crawl and breaststroke (non-stop swimming)
- Tread water for 2 minutes (non-stop) without the use of hands or arms
- Perform a surface dive (9 feet) to retrieve a 10 pound brick and swim back holding the brick on top of the water (timed ).
- Participants must have a passing score of 80% or better on all exams and pass the final skill scenarios in order to receive certifications.
Certifications include: Lifeguarding (valid 2 years), First Aid/CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer (valid 1 year).
Class will be offered: Friday, June 13 from 4 p.m. to 9:45 p.m.; Saturday, June 14 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Saturday, June 21 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sunday, June 22 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Cost for attending the class is $350 with a 75 percent refund if requirements of pretest are not met. No refund will be given for students who fail to meet certification requirements.
Email Aquatic Director, Gloria Reyna, at email@example.com with questions.
The New Rochelle YMCA is located at 50 Weyman Avenue.
- 1 New Rochelle Police Investigating Overnight Gunshots
- 2 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By Homeland Security, FBI
- 3 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 4 Men Shot, Killed Before Hutchinson River Parkway Crash ID'd
- 5 Police Investigating Fatal Shootings Off Hutchinson River Parkway