WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- Here are five of the biggest upcoming events in Westchester.
1. On the List at Ossining's Teatown Lake Reservation , Saturday, May 3, at 11 a.m.
Explore why animals become endangered and meet native animals listed as threatened, special concern or endangered, and what the status means for their continued survival. Free for members, $5 for non-members. Program requires pre-registration. To register, call 914-762-2912, ext. 110. 1600 Spring Valley Road.
2. Self Defense Workshop in Valhalla for Women Ages 12 and up , Sunday, May 4 at 10 a.m.
This event, to be held at the Mount Pleasant Community Center, is being presented by Integrated Defensive Safety Systems. Topics to be discussed: women's health and wellness, personal safety, domestic violence, college campus safety, street safety, and a variety of other issues women of today must undertake. Free. 125 Lozza Drive.
3. Opening reception for GRAY MATTER at Gallery 1989 in Larchmont, Thursday, May 1 at 6 p.m.
Enjoy live jazz music, light refreshments, and the unveiling of Gallery 1989’s shop sign. Travis Fairclough and Joseph Pecoraro make, "abstract pictures, meditations whose images resemble aftermaths from forces of nature." 1989 Palmer Avenue.
4. Yonkers Community Services Event on Saturday, May 3 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Sponsored by the Westchester County Board of Legislators and the Hispanic Affairs Task Force. Join County Legislator Virginia Perez (D-17) at Good Shepherd Presbyterian Church and access various community organizations and services all at one convenient fair. 320 Walnut St.
5. Mental Health Association of Westchester's 5K Run/Walk and 1 Mile Kids’ Race in Yorktown Heights on Sunday, May 4, from 8 a.m. to noon.
A unique opportunity to take a stand for mental health. Whether you run or walk, your participation helps raise money for the Mental Health Association. FDR State Park.
I'm sure we missed some great events. Let us know where you'll be heading and why.